Charles C. Callaway Jr.
Charles Callaway’s practice encompasses a wide variety of commercial transactions, with an emphasis on representing sellers, purchasers, developers, borrowers and lenders in all aspects of the sale, purchase and financing of business enterprises, commercial real estate, oil and gas properties, cogeneration, and wind energy developments.
- Juris Doctor (The University of Oklahoma, 1981)
- Oklahoma Law Review (symposium editor, 1981; article and book review editor, 1980)
- Bachelor of Arts (The University of Oklahoma, with honors, 1978)
- Oklahoma, 1981
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2011-2022
- Real Estate Law
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating
Callaway represented his church and a not-for-profit summer camp in separate sales and acquisitions of facilities.
Representative Matters & Clients
Charles works with public, private and government entities to handle transactions critical to their business. He has represented:
- The purchaser of a 298 MW wind farm in central Oklahoma under development, dealing with all aspects of due diligence, negotiation of construction and equity financing, permitting, and related matters. Representation is ongoing in connection with the completed project.
- The developer of a 225 MW wind farm in southwest Oklahoma in final development and financing of the facility.
- The developer of a 100 MW wind farm in southern Oklahoma in construction and development matters.
- The developer of an upscale downtown residential real estate development.
- Lenders and borrowers in connection with securitized mortgage loans involving pools of single-family residential properties.
- Developers in the purchase, sale, financing and development of commercial and residential real estate.
- The purchaser of a major office mall in Oklahoma City.
- The purchaser of a package of Oklahoma shopping centers in acquisition and financing.
- Purchasers of restaurant, hospitality and retail properties in significant sale/leaseback financings.
- The purchaser of a major Oklahoma City hotel in acquisition and financing. Callaway negotiated the purchase and sale agreement, conducted a due diligence review, and handled related matters.
- Prospective purchasers in performing due diligence in connection with contemplated purchases of such diverse assets as oil and gas production and transmission properties, electrical power-generating facilities, and insurance claims administration contracts.
- The lender to an outdoor advertising company in major tax credit financing.
- Lenders in a wide variety of multistate financing involving collateral located in Oklahoma.
- Lenders in several transactions involving loans secured by gaming collateral. Callaway negotiated and drafted loan and security agreements, collateral access agreements, and other documents addressing tribal issues.
- Lenders in multiple transactions involving financing of national hotel and restaurant chains.
- Lenders and borrowers in multiple construction loan transactions.
- Publicly traded oil and gas companies in the acquisition and financing of a downtown Oklahoma City office tower and associated parking facilities, as well as various types of producing and non-producing properties.
- An independent oil and gas operator in purchases, divestitures and financing of various types of producing and non-producing properties, gas-storage arrangements, and other industry transactions.
- The seller in the sale of a significant minority-owned government contracting company.
- Shareholders of a government contracting corporation in its sale to a division of a tribal corporation. Callaway negotiated and drafted the purchase and sale agreement and various financing documents with attention to tribal sovereignty and related issues.
- A gaming contractor and tribe in the exchange of tribally owned real estate. Callaway negotiated and drafted relevant agreements, with particular attention to tribal authorization issues and title matters.
- A hotel and resort owner and management company in numerous agreements affecting operations. Callaway negotiated hotel franchise agreements, management agreements and related agreements.
- A developer of government office buildings and private correctional facilities in their acquisition, development, and bank and equity financing.
- Landlords and tenants in negotiation of commercial office, retail and industrial leases.
- Developers of multifamily projects in the purchase, financing, construction and sale of properties.