John B. Heatly
John B. Heatly
Bankruptcy & Insolvency
Commercial Real Estate
Financial Institutions & Finance
Litigation & Trial Practice
John Heatly is a litigation attorney with more than 40 years of experience whose practice encompasses all forms of business-related litigation, including the prosecution and defense of cases involving investments, secured transactions, securities, trusts, professional negligence, accounting, insurance and other commercial controversies. He represents secured lenders, underwriters, insurance companies, health care corporations, cellular network supply companies and fiduciaries in a broad range of business-litigation matters.
Heatly also has extensive appellate-level experience with the Oklahoma Supreme Court, bankruptcy appellate panels and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. He has displayed significant professional and civic involvement, including serving as president of the Oklahoma County Bar Association from 2012 to 2015, as well as on its board of directors for two separate three-year terms. In 2008, Heatly was recognized for his professional and civic contributions to the state by being named as a recipient of the Journal Record’s Leadership in Law Award. He also received special recognition awards in 2011 and 2016 from the Oklahoma County Bar Association.
- Juris Doctor (The University of Oklahoma, 1976)
- Phi Delta Phi
- Bachelor of Science (Oklahoma State University, 1972)
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2010-2019
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (Litigation)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Super Lawyers, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013
- OCBA Beacon Award, 2011
- OCBA Knapp Leadership Award, 2016
- Oklahoma County Bar Association (president, 2012-2013)
- Redbud Foundation (board of directors, former president)
- Casady School Leadership Circle (former co-chair)
- Oklahoma Bar Foundation (fellow/benefactor)
Representative Matters & Clients
- Representation of a national health care provider in an original proceeding before the Oklahoma Supreme Court contesting the approval of a joint public/private venture
- Representation of a bankruptcy trustee of an Oklahoma cooperative corporation in prosecuting accounting malpractice and officer/director claims arising out of multimillion-dollar embezzlement/money-laundering scheme, resulting in seven-figure recovery
- Representation of a major automobile floor-plan financing source in pursuing fraud and conversion claims against a dealer for alleged wrongful diversion of trust funds
- Representation of insurance companies in bad-faith insurance disputes
- Representation of secured lenders in title-laundering disputes involving departments of motor vehicles
- Representation of major underwriters in class-action securities litigation involving a $100 million securities offering
- Representation of a major secured lender in prosecuting claims relating to fraudulently issued certificates of insurance
- Representation of a major health care provider in claims arising out of the acquisition of a group of psychiatric care facilities
- Representation of a corporate officer in grand jury proceedings and civil litigation arising out of the sudden failure of a financial service company valued in excess of $1 billion
- Representation of a major hotel chain in toxic tort claims arising from a food-borne illness outbreak investigated by the Centers for Disease Control
- Representation of a liability insurance carrier in certified question proceedings from U.S. district court to the Oklahoma Supreme Court involving liability insurance coverage for a punitive damage award
- Representation of an equipment-leasing company in prosecuting a fraudulent financial statement claim to avoid discharge in bankruptcy proceedings
- Representation of an amateur sports association in trial and appellate court proceedings involving expulsion of athletic coaches from league participation
- Representation of a mineral technology company in declaratory judgment proceedings in U.S. district court involving competitive bidding issues on government contracts
- Fleming, Molly M. "Skirvin dispute headed for jury trial." Journal Record. 29 Oct. 2013.
- Fleming, Molly M. "Jury trial requested in Skirvin skirmish." Journal Record. 9 Oct. 2013.
- Fleming, Molly M. "Skirvin fight about $9.5M in COD income." Journal Record. 30 Aug. 2013.
- Fleming, Molly M. "Tax dispute leads to Skirvin lawsuit." Journal Record. 28 Aug. 2013.
Regarding the Tulsa RiverWalk Crossing:
- Davis, Kirby Lee. "Bank Makes Deal with RiverWalk Developer." Journal Record. 30 Dec. 2011.
- Davis, Kirby Lee. "Bank Seeks $27.86M from RiverWalk Crossing Developer" Journal Record. 26 Oct. 2011.
- Davis, Kirby Lee. "RiverWalk Dispute Rises in Court Hearing." Journal Record. 27 June 2011.
- Davis, Kirby Lee. "On a document hunt: Judge’s order for RiverWalk defendants includes original developer." Journal Record. 20 June 2011.
- Davis, Kirby Lee. "Judge gives RiverWalk defendant two more weeks to pony up." Journal Record. 6 June 2011