Commercial Real Estate
Irena Damnjanoska’s practice has been primarily focused on representing national and international clients in structuring and closing transactions involving the sale, registration, leasing, financing and operation of large commercial and business aircraft. She also provides services and advice with respect to various related matters and issues which may arise in recording documents with the FAA aircraft registry located in Oklahoma City, as well as in registering interests with the International Registry created in 2006 pursuant to an international treaty (which relates to the international perfection and enforcement of rights in aircraft and engines). She regularly provides counsel to clients from various sectors of the aviation industry on such matters.
Irena’s other major practice area is commercial real estate. She has had extensive experience representing developers and investors, financial institutions, and others in the acquisition, financing, development and leasing of real estate. Irena has handled numerous transactions involving shopping centers, hotels, office buildings, multi-family apartment complexes, student housing projects, and a windfarm project. She has also represented both landlords and tenants in the negotiation and preparation of leases covering a variety of properties. With respect to her real estate practice, Irena serves as Oklahoma counsel to lenders and borrowers in connection with a variety of loans collateralized by various kinds of commercial real estate. Irena has also had extensive experience in working with major out-of-state law firms in serving as local counsel with respect to the Oklahoma aspects of multi-state transactions.
Damnjanoska is fluent in Macedonian, Bulgarian and Serbian, and is conversant in French.
- Juris Doctor (Oklahoma City University School of Law, 2008)
- Phi Delta Phi
- Bachelor of Science in Business (Oklahoma City University, with honors, 2005)
- Oklahoma, 2008
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- National Business Aviation Association
Awards & Honors
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2012-2015
Representative Matters & Clients
With respect to her aviation practice, Damnjanoska has had extensive experience in representing major corporations and other entities (including Fortune 100 companies) in the negotiation and preparation of agreements relating to the purchase, sale, leasing and financing of large jet aircraft, both new and used. In such transactions, she often has been the lead outside counsel for the client, primarily responsible for the preparation and consummation of all required documentation.
Because the firm’s Oklahoma City office is located near the FAA’s Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center, Damnjanoska is often called upon to act as special FAA counsel regarding various aspects of transactions, including:
- Assisting clients in analyzing the proposed ownership and registration structures of transactions for compliance with U.S. citizenship and registration requirements (including the use of owner trusts and other arrangements to satisfy the same).
- Drafting and reviewing documents to be filed with the FAA registry for compliance with the federal transportation code and regulatory requirements of the FAA.
- Obtaining opinions of the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center counsel on various matters, including the effect of a specific lease on aircraft registration, the recordability of documents, and the acceptability of trust structures and limited liability companies with respect to aircraft registrations.
- Providing services with respect to an aircraft’s importation (registration with the FAA after a prior registration in a foreign country) or exportation (U.S. deregistration in anticipation of registration in a foreign country).
- Organizing and conducting the closing of transactions, including conference calls with the required parties, the supervision of filing of all escrowed documents with the FAA and, where appropriate, the registration of such documents with the International Registry.
- Providing legal opinions with respect to the recordability of documents filed with the FAA, the status of registration of the aircraft, and the status of encumbrances filed at the FAA and registered with the International Registry.
Articles & Publications
- The Consumer Finance Quarterly Report
- Update on Avoidance of Subordinate Home Mortgage Liens in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Cases, 64 Consumer Fin. L.Q. Rep. 57 (2010).