Stephen J. Moriarty, Shareholder/Director
Oklahoma City Office
100 N. Broadway, Suite 1700
Oklahoma City, OK 73102-9211
Mr. Moriarty’s practice is centered on Bankruptcy, Reorganization and Insolvency Law. He has served as an instructor for the National Business Institute since 1994.
- University of Tulsa (J.D., 1982)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook (B.A., 1979)
Related News & Events
- Member of the Oklahoma Bar
- Western, Eastern, and Northern District Courts of Oklahoma
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Representative Matters & Clients
- 2003-2005: Served as Receiver, appointed by the Oklahoma Department of Securities, for The Hickman Agency. Operated the company, liquidated its assets, pursued claims against prior management and returned a dividend of 15% to investors defrauded by a Ponzi scheme.
- 2007-2008: Served as attorney for the Court appointed Receiver of Phipps Enterprises, Inc.. Formulated a Plan of Dissolution that resulted in a sale of assets at a substantial premium to their appraised value, payment in full to creditors and a distribution to shareholders.
- 2008-present: Served as lead bankruptcy counsel for Boom Drilling, Inc., debtor in possession, a Woodward land based oil and gas drilling company
- 2009-present: Served as Special Master, appointed by the Oklahoma Department of Securities for Global West Funding, Ltd. Co., Global West Financial LLC, Sure Lock Financial, LLC, Sure Lock Loans, LLC, The Wave-Goldmade, Ltd., and Brian McKye. Operated the company (seven Pay Day Loan offices), pursued claims against prior management and returned a dividend to investors defrauded by a Ponzi scheme.
- 2009-present: Served as Receiver for the Commodities Futures Trading Commission and the Oklahoma Department of Securities for Prestige Ventures Crop. Liquidated assets, pursued claims against management and returned a dividend to investors defrauded by a Ponzi scheme.
- 2010-2011: Served as lead bankruptcy counsel and successfully reorganized a $7,000,000 asset based lender.
Articles & Publications
- Co-author of "Mortgage Foreclosure Sales as Fraudulent Conveyances: The Durrett Issue," 10 Oklahoma City University Law Review, 1985
- "Oklahoma Foreclosure and Related Bankruptcy Issues," National Business Institute, 2002
- "Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Law and Procedure," National Business Institute, 1996; "Advanced Bankruptcy Process," National Business Institute, 1994
Community Leadership & Activities
- Board of Directors, Edmond All Sports Association (1992-1995)
- Instructor and lecturer for the National Business Institute on bankruptcy related topics (1994-present)
- December 2008 – Spoke to the Oklahoma chapter of the Turnaround Management Association on issues relating to court appointed receivers