Stephen J. Moriarty, Shareholder/Director
Oklahoma City Office
100 N. Broadway, Suite 1700
Oklahoma City, OK 73102-9211
T (405) 232-0621
F (405) 232-9659
Mr. Moriarty’s practice is centered on bankruptcy, reorganization and insolvency law, as well as business finance. With over 35 years of experience, Mr. Moriarty has handled both creditor’s claims and debtor’s cases. His clients range in structure from sole proprietors to limited partnerships (LPs) and limited liability companies (LLCs). He’s also worked with banks and lenders of all sizes.
Mr. Moriarty has served as a court appointed Chapter 11 trustee for a publically traded oil and gas production company and its related entities.
Mr. Moriarty has been a receiver for the Oklahoma Department of Securities and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission in multiple cases involving ponzi schemes.
He has served as an instructor for the National Business Institute since 1994 and regularly leads seminars on elements of bankruptcy law. Mr. Moriarty is also a member of the Academy of Court Appointed Masters.
- University of Tulsa (J.D., 1982)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook (B.A., 1979)
Related News & Events
- Member of the Oklahoma Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Western, Eastern, and Northern Districts of Oklahoma
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Representative Matters & Clients
- In re Sturgeon, 496 B.R. 215 (B.A.P. 10th Cir. 2013). Represented the creditor, who had determined that the debtor engaged in fraudulent conduct. This finding was upheld by the 10th Circuit Bankruptcy Appeals Panel.
- 2016-present: Serves as Chapter 11 Trustee for PostRock Energy Corporation and it's related entities.
- 2013-2014: Served as lead counsel to a court-appointed receiver for two related automobile dealerships. Successfully negotiated sale of dealerships for an amount in excess of $25,000,000.00.
- 2012-2013: Served as lead bankruptcy counsel to two related national restaurant chains as debtor in possession. Obtained confirmation of consolidated plan of reorganization within 120 days of filing.
- 2010-2012: Served as lead counsel to individual against whom an involuntary bankruptcy petition was filed. Obtained dismissal of the involuntary bankruptcy petition and an award of over $250,000.00 against the petitioning creditors, jointly and severally.
- 2010-2011: Served as lead bankruptcy counsel and successfully reorganized a $7,000,000 asset based lender.
- 2009-present: Served as lead bankruptcy counsel to a top 10 independent oil producer in cases pending throughout the United States.
- 2009-present: Served as lead bankruptcy counsel for a national holding company and its subsidiary life insurance companies in multiple Chapter 11 cases throughout the United States.
- 2009-2014: Served as Receiver appointed by the Oklahoma Department of Securities for Storybook Properties, LLC and related entities. Liquidated assets, pursued claims against management and returned a dividend to investors defrauded by a Ponzi scheme.
- 2009-2013: Served as Receiver for the Commodities Futures Trading Commission and the Oklahoma Department of Securities for Prestige Ventures Crop. Liquidated assets, pursued claims against management and returned a dividend to investors defrauded by a Ponzi scheme.
- 2009-2012: Served as Special Master, appointed by the Oklahoma Department of Securities for Global West Funding, Ltd. Co., Global West Financial LLC, Sure Lock Financial, LLC, Sure Lock Loans, LLC, The Wave-Goldmade, Ltd., and Brian McKye. Operated the company (seven Pay Day Loan offices), pursued claims against prior management and returned a dividend to investors defrauded by a Ponzi scheme.
- 2008-2011: Served as lead bankruptcy counsel for Boom Drilling, Inc., debtor in possession, a Woodward land based oil and gas drilling company having assets and liabilities in excess of $100,000,000.00 and 450 employees.
- 2007-2008: Served as attorney for the Court appointed Receiver of Phipps Enterprises, Inc. Formulated a Plan of Dissolution that resulted in a sale of assets at a substantial premium to their appraised value, payment in full to creditors and a distribution to shareholders.
- 2003-2005: Served as Receiver, appointed by the Oklahoma Department of Securities, for The Hickman Agency. Operated the company, liquidated its assets, pursued claims against prior management and returned a dividend of 15% to investors defrauded by a Ponzi scheme.
Articles & Publications
- "Gavel to Gavel" Studying Chapter 9," The Journal Record, July 2012.
- "The Impact of Bankruptcy on Creditors", National Business Institute, 2017
- "Oklahoma Foreclosure and Related Bankruptcy Issues," National Business Institute, 2002
- "Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Law and Procedure," National Business Institute, 1996; "Advanced Bankruptcy Process," National Business Institute, 1994
- Co-author of "Mortgage Foreclosure Sales as Fraudulent Conveyances: The Durrett Issue," 10 Oklahoma City University Law Review, 1985
Awards & Honors
- Academy of Court Appointed Masters (ACAM)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2017) in:
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Recognized as "Lawyer of the Year"- Bankruptcy, Insolvancy, and Reorganization (2018)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rating
- Oklahoma Super Lawyers ® (2011-2014)
- Instructor and lecturer for the National Business Institute on bankruptcy related topics (1994-present)
- December 2008 – Spoke to the Oklahoma chapter of the Turnaround Management Association on issues relating to court appointed receivers
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association