Klint A. Cowan, Shareholder/Director
Oklahoma City Office
100 N. Broadway, Suite 1700
Oklahoma City, OK 73102-9211
T (405) 232-0621
F (405) 232-9659
Klint Cowan is a civil litigator who practices in the fields of federal Indian law, gaming, election law, and finance.
Cowan has handled numerous gaming law matters and has represented clients before federal agencies such as the National Indian Gaming Commission and the Office of Indian Gaming.
He works with tribal entities to procure financing for gaming facilities and related developments through various methods including tax-exempt bond issuance, vendor financing, and bank loans.
With a solid grasp of tribal laws, Cowan has assisted various vendors in conducting business with federally recognized Indian tribes.
- University of Oxford (B.C.L., with distinction for dissertation, 2005)
- Associate Editor, Commonwealth Law Journal
- University of Tulsa (J.D., with highest honors, 2004)
- Executive Articles Editor, Energy Law Journal
- Antioch College (B.S. in Geology, 1998)
Related News & Events
Financing for Tribal Projects
- Assisted tribal gaming entity in obtaining $5 million financing for construction and development of a new casino
- Counseled tribe on refinancing debt for the construction and development of casino projects
- Drafted and negotiated contracts between lenders and tribe
- Developed request for proposal (RFP) materials for hotel financing; reviewed and advised on submitted proposals
- Comanche Nation v. U.S. (W.D. Okla. 2008) (won an injunction protecting a tribal sacred site)
- Berry v. Comanche Nation Casino, (W.D. Okla. 2010) (successfully removed tort claims arising in Indian country to federal court)
- Muhammad v. Comanche Nation Casino (W.D. Okla. 2010) (obtained order prohibiting state court from exercising jurisdiction over Indian country tort)
- Osage Nation v. Oklahoma (W.D. Okla. 2010) (secured permanent injunction prohibiting Oklahoma courts from exercising jurisdiction over Indian country torts)
- Advised on tribal elections
- Oklahoma, 2004
- Muscogee (Creek) Nation
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Evidence & Civil Procedures Committee (2012, 2013)
- Muscogee (Creek) Nation Bar Association
- ABA Native American Resources Committee Vice-Chair (2006–2011)
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg American Inn of Court, Oklahoma City (2006–2008)
- Phi Delta Phi (2002–2004)
Articles & Publications
- Native American Resources Annual Report (2006-2010), ABA Section of Env't, Energy, and Resources Law
- 2010 Annual Report, Year in Review 239 (2011) (with C. Rogers et al.)
- 2009 Annual Report, Year in Review 250 (2010) (with D. Pensley et al.)
- 2008 Annual Report, Year in Review 255 (2009) (with D. Suagee and D. Pensley)
- 2007 Annual Report, Year in Review 252 (2008) (with D. Suagee)
- 2006 Annual Report, Year in Review 266 (2007) (with D. Suagee)
- Tribal Sovereignty vs. State Court Jurisdiction, 81 Okla. B.J. 351 (Feb. 13, 2010).
- International Responsibility for Human Rights Violations by American Indian Tribes, 9 Yale Human Rights & Dev. L.J. 1 (2006).
- Note, Transmission Agency of Northern California v. Sierra Pacific Power Co., 24 ENERGY L.J. 365 (2003).
- Mass Equivalence and Brecciation in the Mt. Padbury Mesosiderite, Lunar and Planetary Science XXIX, 1194 (1998) (with T. McCoy).
Because of his tribal law experience, Cowan has been invited to speak on several occasions including:
- Jurisdiction in Indian Country, Muscogee (Creek) Nation 8th Annual Doing Business in Indian Country Conference, Tulsa, Oklahoma (May 20, 2010) (invited speaker).
- Protecting Sacred Sites: Comanche Nation v. United States, University of South Dakota Law Review Symposium, Twentieth Anniversary of Employment Division v. Smith (Feb. 18, 2010) (invited speaker).
- Transacting with Indian Tribal Governments, Indian Gaming Seminars in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Bar Association (Nov. 6 and 13, 2008) (invited speaker).
Awards & Honors
Community Leadership & Activities
- Board of Directors, Teen Recovery Solutions
- Oklahoma Lawyers for Children (OLFC) - legal volunteer
- Bricktown Rotary Club
Prior Legal Experience
- Hobbs, Straus, Dean & Walker, LLP, Oklahoma City, OK; Associate
- Boesche Legal Clinic, Tulsa, OK; Law Clerk