Kelli Masters has broad experience in commercial litigation, as well as nonprofit law and sports and entertainment law. She represents clients in state and federal courts in cases involving such issues as breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, statutory and common law fraud, negligence, misrepresentation, defamation and trademark infringement.
In addition to defending public and private companies in areas of insurance, banking, and other commercial operations, Ms. Masters represents numerous nonprofit tax-exempt organizations. Having formed and represented more than 70 nonprofit organizations, Ms. Masters also advises clients regarding nonprofit governance and maintenance of exempt status, as well as insurance and indemnification issues affecting directors and officers.
Ms. Masters also practices in the area of sports and entertainment law, representing professional athletes in football, baseball and Olympic sports. She is an NFL contract advisor, certified by the National Football League Players Association, and is a registered agent.
- University of Oklahoma (J.D., with honors, 1999) Phi Delta Phi
- University of Oklahoma (B.A. in Journalism, with highest distinction, 1995) Studied Abroad at Universite d’Auverge, Clermont-Ferrand, France, 1994
Related News & Events
- Admitted to bar, 2000, Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Representative Matters & Clients
- Successfully challenged a ruling denying ad valorem tax exemption, thus securing rights for Oklahoma nonprofit organizations. Published opinion: GDT CG1, LLC v. Oklahoma County Bd. of Equalization, 2007 OK CIV APP 101, 172 P.3d 628, 629 (cert. denied).
- Has obtained numerous summary judgments and dismissals for corporate clients in matters involving breach of contract, negligence, misrepresentation, fraud, insurance bad faith, and other commercial matters.
- Negotiated the Life Story Rights Agreement for a feature film based on the life of her client, Martel Van Zant.
- Has formed and represented more than seventy 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations.
- Has negotiated Player Contracts in both the NFL and professional baseball, as well as national and local endorsement agreements.
Articles & Publications
- Setting up a Nonprofit: Getting Started the Right Way
- Oklahoma Nonprofits: Tax Business Answers, National Business Institute (2001, 2003 & 2005)
- New York Times, Feb. 1, 2014. "As Players' Agents, Women Face Extra Challenges"
- Huffington Post, April 28, 2013. "Goodbye Entourage: Turningt he Tables on How NFL Agents Entertain Their Clients"
- Wall Street Journal, April 16, 2013. "NFL Players Serve the People of Haiti"
- Distinctly Oklahoma, November 2012, "Kelli Masters: A Story of Success"
- Sooner Lawyer, Fall Winter 2008/2009
- The Oklahoman, April 24, 2008
- Journal Record, September 15, 2006
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Luther L. Bohanon Chapter of American Inns of Court
- Sports Lawyers Association
Community Leadership & Activities
- Appointed to Professional Responsibility Tribunal for the State of Oklahoma, 2011-2014
- Board of Directors for YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City
- Charter Member of Board of Directors for Defenders of Dreams Heritage Center
- Board of Directors for Citizens for Juvenile Justice and Former Board Chair for Oklahoma County CASA
- Co-founder and current president of The Hope Foundation for Aspiring Youth
- Spokesperson for the American Legion Children’s Home
- Author and lecturer on nonprofit/charitable organization law and sports law
- National Motivational Speaker: Has spoken to hundreds of schools, organizations, women’s groups, youth groups and leadership conferences across the country
Awards & Honors
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the specialty area of Non-Profit / Charities Law (2013-2015)
- Oklahoma Super Lawyers® Rising Star (2011-2013)
- The Journal Record's Woman of the Year Finalist, 2006
- Gold Medal Letzeiser Award Winner (Top Senior Woman), 1995
- Southern Conference of Bar Presidents, October 2013
- Oklahoma Bar Association Annual Meeting, November 2012
- National Sports Marketing Network Panel, Dallas, Texas, May 2011
- American Inns of Court, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, March 2011
- Sports Management Worldwide Seminar, Indianapolis, Indiana, February 2011
- "Tax Exempt Organizations from Start to Finish" - Speaker, National Business Institute Seminar, Fall 2011
- Oklahoma City University Sports Property and Entertainment Law Association – Guest Speaker, Fall 2011
- OU Law School – Guest Speaker, Spring 2011 & Fall 2011
- OU Sports Management Club – Guest Speaker at Inaugural Meeting, Fall 2011
- Ohio University International Sports Agency Organization – Guest Speaker, Fall 2011
- Dallas Bar Association, Sports Law Bootcamp – Panelist, Fall 2011
- Oklahoma Paralegal Association Annual Seminar, May 30, 2009
- State Convention for “Rainbow Girls” Youth Leadership Club, Spring 2009
- OU School of Law – Sports and Entertainment Law Club, Fall 2008
- Lawyers for Children
- Advising numerous nonprofit organizations